Innovation through nanotechnology
Nanotechnology Innovation Centre
Nanotechnology Electrochemical Systems
(All the systems will be nanomaterials or screen-
• Producer of screen-
Electrode Fabrication: Various methods are investigated with the aim to find electrical conducting surfaces and stable films.
Platforms development: Investigate different biomolecule immobilization protocols for various applications.
Analyte identification: Identify analytes as required; i.e. outbreaks and define mode of detection for various applications.
Signal amplification: Incorprating nanomaterials and study their effect towards enhancement of analyte detection, e.g. Increased sensititvity.
Materials characterisation: Investigate the mode and the orientation the biomeolcules takes on the electrode surface.
Surface chemistry and characterisation: Apply surface-
Research Focus Areas
• Early detection of disease and/or virus infections.
• Screening of patients at remote and rural settings where electricity is scarce.
• Monitoring and surveillance of communicable diseases or virus outbreaks.
• Quality assurance at places where food stuffs and personnel exchanges take place (e.g. border control stations).
Application of interest
Atomic Force Microscopy (AFM) surface characteriasation
• Mintek owns two AFM equipments, i.e. The MultiMode and Enviroscope AFM/Scanning Probe Microscope (SPM).
• Both these equipments can also be adapted to the environmental conditions for
specialized surface characterization and surface measurements like vacuum, liquid
phase, normal air and in-
• Mintek owns two electro-
Quartz crystal microbalance with dissipation and surface plasmon resonance
• Both these equipments are used to monitor the binding and hybridization events
in e.g. Protein-
• To become a leader in research and development of (nano)-
• To penetrate and become a leading innovator of electrochemical sensors and commercial partner (of choice) for various sensing institutes in South Africa.
Our objective is to research and develop nanotechnolgy-
Nodes and Stakeholders
Copyright © 2012 . Mintek
“Our systems are aimed at alleviating challenges currently faced by South Africans and Africans.”
|News and Events|